Short Quiz Re Context of World War II

johnkarls

Short Quiz Re Context of World War II

Post by johnkarls »

Short Quiz Re Context of FDR & Eleanor Vis-à-Vis World War II

1. When did Japan’s “Rape of China” begin?

2. How long after World War I did France continue its periodic invasions of Germany to plunder physical assets and bring them back to France under the excuse of war reparations?

3. What was “The Phony War”?

4. Did “Lend Lease” enacted on 11 March 1941 which was 9 months before Pearl Harbor, constitute an “Act of War” under international law? In this regard, was it similar to Woodrow Wilson’s unconscionable and clandestine shipping of war materials in the holds of passenger ships to Britain before our entry into World War I?

5. What action taken by Roosevelt caused Japan to attack Pearl Harbor? Was the action taken by Roosevelt, like Lend Lease, an “Act of War” under international law?

6. What was the greatest similarity between Franklin Roosevelt and Stalin?

7. What was a second great similarity between Franklin Roosevelt and Stalin?

8. Similar to American isolationist public opinion caused by Woodrow Wilson's maneuvering the United States into World War I with which Franklin Roosevelt had to deal, was there another important policy of Woodrow Wilson that Eleanor Roosevelt had to combat?

9. In "The Arms of Krupp" one of William Manchester's principal theses is that virtually all wars are decided on the basis of superior technology (e.g., Hannibal's elephants, superior German artillery in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1) and that it is only the extremely rare war (such as the American Civil War and World War I trench warfare) in which neither side has superior technology so that the result is a "meat grinder" killing millions of soldiers. How does Manchester's thesis apply to World War II?

10. How did Franklin Roosevelt treat Charles de Gaulle and why?

Return to “Participant Comments and Reference Materials - Dorothy Kearns Goodwin's Pulitzer-Prize Winning "No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II" - Dec. 9”