EXPIRED: TheBBC’sYes,Minister/Yes,PrimeMinister&TheDeepState

Click here to view possible topics for future meetings. Participants of each monthly meeting vote for the topic of the next monthly meeting.

If you would like to suggest a topic, it is requested as a courtesy that your suggestion be posted here at least 24 hours in advance so that others will have time to give it proper consideration.

EXPIRATION. We have always had a rule that a Possible Topic remains active so long as it receives at least one vote every six meetings. However, if a possible-topic proposal contains a wealth of information that is worth preserving but has not received a vote for six consecutive meetings, it is retained but listed as “Expired."

SHORT-FUSE NOTICE

EXPLANATION

Occasionally, a Proposed Topic for Future Meetings has a SHORT-TIME FUSE because a governmental unit is soliciting PUBLIC COMMENTS for a limited time period with a SPECIFIED DEADLINE.

Exhibit A would be the 8/5/2016 Proposed Topic entitled “Clone Rights -- Involuntary Soldiers, Sex Slaves, Human Lab Rats, Etc.”

We had already focused on this topic for our 4/9/2008 meeting more than 8 years ago when the PBS Newshour interviewed a Yale U. Biology Professor who had already created a “Chimaera” with 25% Human DNA and 75% Chimp DNA (Chimps are the animals that share the most DNA with humans).

The Yale U. Biology Professor stated that he was then (2008) in the process of creating a “Chimaera” with 50% Human DNA and 50% Chimp DNA, and that he planned to create in the near future (2008 et seq.) a “Chimaera” with 75% Human DNA and 25% Chimp DNA.

As our 4/9/2008 meeting materials posted on http://www.ReadingLiberally-SaltLake.org disclose, Gwen Ifill who conducted the interview, was oblivious to the issue of the Nazi’s definition of a Jew based on the percentage of Jewish heritage and the Ante-Bellum American South’s definition of African-American based on the percentage of Sub-Saharan-African heritage.

But, even more appallingly, Gwen Ifill failed to ask the obvious question = What happens if the 50%-50% “Chimaera” then already being created happens to exhibit as DOMINANT TRAITS 100% Human DNA and as RECESSIVE TRAITS 100% Chimp DNA!!! Which, of course, would mean that Yale U. was treating as a lab rat a “Chimaera” that is 100% Human!!!

Unfortunately, the 8/5/2016 Proposed Topic was prompted by a Proposal from the National Institute of Health (NIH) which appeared in The Federal Register of 8/5/2016 and which had a 9/6/2016 deadline for public comments!!!

So our 9/14/2016 meeting, which was the first for which our focus had not already been determined as of 8/5/2016 under our normal rules, was too late.

So the reason for inaugurating this Short-Fuse Notice Section is to provide a Special Heads Up that a Proposed Topic has a Public-Comment Deadline that will occur before the first regular meeting date at which the topic can be discussed -- so that any of our readers who want to comply with the Public-Comment Deadline can contact the Proposer of the Topic in order to confer with anyone else who may be considering comments by the deadline.

PENDING SHORT-FUSE PROPOSALS

1. Re “Clone Rights -- Involuntary Soldiers, Sex Slaves, Human Lab Rats, Etc.” (proposed 8/5/2016), although the 9/6/2016 public-comment deadline of the National Institute of Health (NIH) has passed, this Topic Proposal is still active. PLEASE NOTE ATTACHED TO THIS PROPOSAL THE 1/29/2017 UPDATE ENTITLED0 “HUMAN-PIG CHIMERAS -- DECENT BEHAVIOR DESPITE OPEN BARN DOOR.”

2. Re “Destroying Great Salt Lake To Grow Low-Profit Hay For China” (proposed 9/27/2016), there is a 10/24/2016 public-comment deadline that will occur before our first possible regular meeting (11/16/2016) at which this Proposed Topic could be considered.
johnkarls

EXPIRED: TheBBC’sYes,Minister/Yes,PrimeMinister&TheDeepState

Post by johnkarls »

The BBC’s Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister & The Deep State

[Editorial Note: This topic was proposed during our 6/14/2018 - 7/13/2019 sabbatical, as set forth in Section 6 of this website. When this topic expired on 3/10/2021, it had 270 “views” here in Section 3 and 808 “views” in Section 6.]

I propose that we focus on “The BBC’s Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minster & The Deep State” IAW the following Ad Hoc Meeting proposal that was made during our recent sabbatical.

[The original proposal is located at http://discussingliberally-saltlake.org ... d37f#p2380.]

During the recent sabbatical from regular order during which Ad Hoc Meetings (i.e., sans the normal support of Short Quizzes and Suggested Discussion Outlines) and Working Groups (of which we had two) could still function, we discovered that beginning on or about 9/1/2018, more than a half dozen of the nation’s major e-mail providers were stealthily refusing to deliver our e-mails.

INCLUDING E-MAILS SENT TO SEVERAL OF MY OWN PERSONAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL E-MAIL ADDRESSES!!!

AND INCLUDING TO VIRTUALLY ALL OF OUR REGULAR 150 E-MAIL RECIPIENTS!!!

NB: THE US POSTAL SERVICE IS NOT PERMITTED TO STEAM OPEN US MAIL IN ORDER TO DECIDE WHICH ITEMS IT CHOOSES TO DELIVER IAW ITS POLITICAL PREFERENCES/PREJUDICES!!!

SO WHY SHOULD THE MAJOR E-MAIL PROVIDERS, WHICH HAVE VIRTUALLY DISPLACED THE US POSTAL SERVICE, BE PERMITTED TO DO SO???

Accordingly, Calls for an EMERGENCY meeting on the subject of “Political Censorship by Major E-mail Providers” were sent to our members on 10/29/2018 and posted on our bulletin board at http://discussingliberally-saltlake.org ... 2208#p2368.

The response???

Surprise, surprise -

Even though we had had 3 Ad Hoc Meetings during the first 4 months of the Sabbatical, we never mustered a quorum for any Ad Hoc Meetings during the last 8 months, including the EMERGENCY MEETING!!!

“The BBC’s Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister & The Deep State” was an Ad Hoc Meeting proposal made 2.5 months later in response to a considerable number of inquiries about what I had been reading and might be willing to discuss at an Ad Hoc Meeting.

The result???

Surprise, surprise –

“The BBC’s Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister & Deep State” proposal failed to muster a quorum!!!

The reason for mentioning here so much information about the 10/29/2018 EMERGENCY proposal???

The second so-called “response” to this BBC/Deep State proposal contains additional information about the censorship of Major E-mail Providers against our organization during the intervening 2.5 months.

Originally proposed by johnkarls » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 pm
-----------------------------------------------------
To: ReadingLiberallyEmailList@johnkarls.com
Bcc: The Approximately 150 Recipients of Our Weekly E-mail
Subject: The BBC’s Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister & The Deep State – Wed Evening Feb 13 or Feb 20 – Please RSVP by This Sun Evening
Date: To be sent pre-dawn on Sat, January 12, 2019
Attachments:

Dear Friends,

As you may recall, we are in the middle of another sabbatical so that I can write a second book, this one on the topic of “The National Audubon Society Executes Great Salt Lake Death Warrant.”

And that when this sabbatical began last July, we explained that just like the first sabbatical 4 years ago, everyone is invited to make Ad Hoc Meeting proposals (1) NONE of which will be promoted by short quizzes, suggested discussion outlines, etc., (2) but EACH of which that achieves our minimum quorum of six, will be authorized to initiate one of our “Six Degrees of Separation E-mail Campaigns” to our nation’s decision makers.

It saddens me that all four ad hoc meeting proposals to date were made by Yours Truly or, in other words, nobody else has made a proposal.

And now, there have piled up again quite a few inquiries about what I am reading currently and whether I would be willing to discuss whatever it is with others.

[For the 13 years of our existence, except during the 2 sabbaticals I typically read at least 2 books/month. One of which is the Reading Liberally book which has typically been proposed by someone else and selected by the attendees of the previous month’s meeting.]

However, I am always happy to discuss important public-policy issues.

To make this very-serious public-policy issue as much fun and as participatory as possible, I would NOT suggest having a particular focus book. Instead, it is respectfully suggested that everyone --

(1) view on YouTube at least one of The BBC’s 1980-1984 comedy series “Yes, Minister” and/or The BBC’s 1986-1988 “Yes, Prime Minister” episodes poking fun at the fact that each British ministry (Defense, Foreign Affairs, Justice, etc.) is run by a Permanent Under-Secretary and her/his civil-servant staff who barely tolerate the Member of Parliament who is appointed by the Prime Minister to “head” the ministry. [A list of web addresses for YouTube recordings of The BBC episodes is available by Googling “Yes, Minister YouTube.”]

(2) pick a current or historical figure who exhibited insubordination, presumably undetected at least at the time, and be prepared to discuss the reasons why you think the insubordination was and/or was not justified.

For the curious, I had been pondering these public-policy questions almost non-stop since the resignation of U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis on 12/20/2018.

Primarily because I had read last fall Bob Woodward’s “Fear: Trump in the White House” (Simon & Shuster 9/11/2018) in which he reports (p. 210) that U.S. National Security Advisor Retired-General H.R. McMaster, whose job it was to coordinate national-security policy, believed that Defense Secretary Mattis and Secretary of State Tillerson “had concluded that the president and the White House were crazy. As a result, they sought to implement and even formulate policy on their own without interference or involvement from McMaster, let alone the president.”

And in which Bob Woodward reports (p. 218) that Mattis and Gary Cohn, Director of the White House National Economic Council, colluded to oppose another of President Trump’s top campaign issues, viz. to halt the export of American jobs and the incurrence of horrendous foreign-trade deficits that had resulted from our foreign-trade agreements.

Though when Mattis resigned, I was in the middle of reading “The Cost of Discipleship” by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a Lutheran Minister famous for opposing Adolf Hitler and for allegedly being a member of the famous July 20, 1944 attempt to assassinate Hitler, as a result of which Bonhoeffer was executed 4/9/1945, a mere 29 days before V-E Day on 5/8/1945.

While thinking of many other “Deep State” actors such as Oskar Schindler (the subject of Steven Spielberg’s “Schindler’s List” which won 7 Oscars in 1994 including Best Picture). A real-life German industrialist and member of the Nazi Party, Schindler is credited with saving more than 1,200 Jews by hiring them for his munitions plants, while turning out munitions that the Nazis were not clever enough to realize were duds and ascertain their source.

Though the most painful thought about “Deep State” actors is described on http://www.ReadingLiberally-SaltLake.org (in its currently-fifth section entitled “Another John Karls Sabbatical To Write Another Book” in that section’s currently-sixth section entitled “Meeting Report - Arne Duncan’s ‘How Schools Work’”) about how U.S. Education Secretary Duncan was one of 20 top U.S. and California politicians starting with President Obama who refused to lift a finger to permit $84 billion of private funding to enable 10 million inner-city children escape “a fate worse than death.”

[One of Duncan’s Under-Secretaries wrote a letter to Yours Truly in which he extolled the effectiveness of the “I Have A Dream”® Programs “strongly implying that the Assistant Secretary thought Arne Duncan was a SCHMUCK”!!!]

[But the Assistant Secretary did NOT resign, which would have given some publicity to what “was going down” in the Obama/Duncan Administration!!!]

Some “Deep State” Questions That Might Be Addressed

1. Should it make a difference whether the political leader whose policies are being sabotaged was democratically elected? [NB: When the U.S. Constitution was adopted, typically only male landowners were entitled to vote and even they could not vote for U.S. Senators or the U.S. President.]

2. If democratically elected, should it make a difference whether the policy being sabotaged was featured in the election campaign so there was arguably a “mandate”?

3. Whether or not democratically elected, should it make a difference whether the policy being sabotaged is popular? [NB: Hitler came to power as a result of an election and most of his policies were popular – indeed, the extermination of 6 million Jews was nothing more than the Roman Catholic Church’s “Doctrine of Blood Guilt” which held that every Jew currently alive at any point in time was responsible for the death of Christ, resulting in so many pograms in which Jews were killed down through the centuries. It was not revoked until Vatican II, two decades too late to save the 6 million Jews.]

4. What role should ethics and/or religion play in the decision to sabotage a political leader?

5. If “The Golden Rule” (“do unto others as you would have them do unto you”), for example, is employed, should the “others” be your fellow citizens, or everyone in the world? Should there be any priority among the responsibilities to take care of yourself, your relatives, your neighbors, your fellow citizens, and everyone else in the world?

6. Should it make a difference how insignificant or ineffectual the sabotage might be? [For example, during the Vietnam War one of my NYC associates refused to work on the Dow Chemical account because Dow was the manufacturer of the U.S. military’s napalm supplies.]

7. Others???

RSVP’S REQUESTED FOR WED FEB 13 OR WED FEB 20 – 7:00-9:00 pm

Please RSVP by this coming Sunday evening if you can attend our meeting at the Salt Lake Public Library (210 East 400 South) --

indicating, of course, which date(s) you are available.

[As usual, anyone who cannot attend in person is invited to participate by Skype.]

I will e-mail RSVP’s on this coming Monday morning which date is convenient for the greatest number of RSVP’s.

THANK YOU!!!

We hope to see each of you on either Feb 13 or Feb 20.

Your friend,
John K.

PS -- To unsubscribe, please press “reply” and type “deletion requested.”

johnkarls

Proof That Responses Are Welcome Even If Off Topic

Post by johnkarls »

Proof That Responses Are Welcome Even If Off Topic
Originally posted by johnkarls » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:53 am
The reason for posting the following e-mail exchange is to demonstrate that all responses are welcome, even if they are entirely “off topic.”

And to encourage others to do so.

[The e-mail correspondent, Jerry Cook, was my roommate for three years at Harvard Law School and the Best Man at my wedding on 12/23/1967. He returned to Michigan and spent his career as a Senior Partner at Detroit’s largest Jewish law firm, Honigman Miller Schwartz & Cohen, during which he headed several of the nation’s largest Jewish organizations and wrote a personal check to charter the first 747 into Moscow following Glasnost to ferry refugees to Israel.]

[BTW, Jerry was featured as a recipient of quite a few e-mails posted on this bulletin board in the section entitled “Cancellation of Official Status of April 11 [2018] Meeting on Joseph Califano’s ‘Our Damaged Democracy: We The People Must Act’ and John Karls’ Research on Harvard as ‘Cambridge University in New England’ 1636-1816.”]

---------------------------- Original Message -----------------------------
Subject: Re: The BBC’s Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister & The_Deep_State_–_Wed_Evening_Feb_13_or_Feb_20_–_Please_RSVP_by_This_Sun_Evening
Date: Mon, January 14, 2019 6:39 am EST
To: ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com
Attachment:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought of you Friday.

I was attending the first of 8 classes about opera at Florida Atlantic University. A professor who has taught at these adult ed programs for many years selected an opera for each of the 8 sessions. We'll watch most of the opera in the 90 minutes we have-- maybe run over 10 minutes or so, he says. He chose unusual or rarely seen versions. Aida was a 1950 Italian film with Sophia Loren as Aida, lip synching to Renata Tibaldi's voice.

I'm looking forward to the next 8 (tho may skip when Cheryl is here with the boys in February) Next comes an Australian La Boheme with a young cast.

Our other series is films of the 40s, with a prof we've enjoyed every winter down here, and we also have one time only classes and musical programs.

Tonight is our first film in the Miami Jewish Film Festival,and in February we chose some from the Palm Beach Jewish Film Festival. I bike, we enjoy the pool, etc. Yesterday we saw Hamilton with our Florida daughter & son-in-law, and enjoyed that.

We feel blessed!

Subject: Re: Re: The BBC’s Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister & The_Deep_State_–_Wed_Evening_Feb_13_or_Feb_20_–_Please_RSVP_by_This_Sun_Evening
Date: Mon, January 14, 2019 8:57 am EST
To: Jerry Cook
Attachment:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jerry,

Thank you for your e-mail and for thinking of me.

Your professor is starting you off on the right foot – the standard advice to newbies is to start with “opera’s ABC’s” (Aida, La Bohème and Carmen).

Though I always recommend starting with La Traviata because the music is just as stunning, if not more so, and the story line is much closer to modern-day real life.

Which segues into a question I am often asked – what do you think of “modern opera”?

Answer = It is an abomination because it is typically created by someone on tenure or pursuant to a grant. Which means, of course, that the creator does NOT have to please anyone but her/him-self!!!

The classical operas were the most popular form of entertainment of their day!!! Because the creators had to please the public!!!

So my argument is that the true descendant of classical opera is the Broadway musical!!!

Two recommendations for you --

First, start attending the Metropolitan Opera’s “Live in HD” transmissions into theaters around the world of 10 of their Saturday-afternoon performances each season. [Though I don’t know where in the Miami area you are located, I’m sure there is a theater near you (http://www.metopera.org/season/in-cinem ... er-finder/ lists 7 theaters in Miami itself).]

Their transmission into worldwide theaters this past Saturday (taped re-transmission this coming Wed evening so you don’t have to miss it) was Adriana Lecouvreur featuring the world’s foremost soprano of the last decade, Anna Netrebko.

And their next transmission will be Carmen on Sat March 2.

Second, subscribe for $150/year to the Met’s “on demand” service (http://www.metopera.org/season/on-demand) that provides you with 24/7 streaming access on your computer or wide-screen TV to more than 650 of their full-length performances over the last 70 years, more than 100 of which include video.

The reason why I adore the service is that I have become very lazy in my old age.

Back in the old days, I would prepare for operas I was about to see by making cassette tapes of my 6 favorite recordings of that opera, and then playing each of them at least 6 times while flying, commuting, driving, etc.

When you have heard an opera 36 or more times before a live performance, you know it like the back of your hand.

But more importantly, you have heard 6 of the world’s top performers sing each role in that opera so you know what the possibilities are.

Nowadays, I am always listening to old Met recordings while working on my computer. Which is wonderful background music. Or, if my concentration is broken, I am reacquainted with performers I haven’t heard in decades.

[While composing this response, I have been listening to Beverly Sills in a 1/28/1978 recording of Thaïs.]

BTW, I have been featured in every “Live in HD” transmission into theaters around the world for the last 4 years.

They are sponsored by Bloomberg.

So each transmission begins with a Bloomberg collage of alternating clips, first a 2-second clip of several Bloomberg offices in iconic locations around the world, a 2-second clip of an opera singer warming up, a 2-second clip of a Bloomberg meeting room being set up, a 2-second clip of the opera singer actually performing, a 2-second clip of a Bloomberg/client meeting in progress, etc., etc.

The last 2-second clip in the collage is Yours Truly tossing a bouquet.

It was tossed for Renée Fleming in The Merry Widow during the worldwide “Live in HD” transmission on 1/17/2015.

I’m glad you wrote when you did.

Because I would be very interested in your views on President Trump’s policy of pulling out of Syria and its effect on Israel.

Please give my best to Barbara!!!

Your friend,

John K.

johnkarls

Continuing Sabotage of Our E-mails By Major E-mail Providers

Post by johnkarls »

Continuing Sabotage of Our E-mails By Major E-mail Providers
Originally posted by johnkarls » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:24 am
Subject: Forgot To Mention Our Continuing Reading Liberally Email Woes
Date: Fri, January 18, 2019 7:07 am MST
To: George Kunath
Attachment:

Dear George,

During our weekly Skype gabfest last Monday, you asked whether anyone else had responded to the suggested Feb meeting on The Deep State.

And I responded that nobody else had.

What I forgot to mention was that Dreamhost -- my own webhost for both the RL website and six e-mail addresses, one of which is ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com from which were sent the two batches of the notice (Dreamhost limits the number of Cc's/Bcc's to 100/hour) -- had (1) put my own john@johnkarls.com Bcc copy that I always put at the end of each batch in the SPAM FOLDER of john@johnkarls.com from which it disappeared 24 hours later (which SPAM FOLDER did not exist prior to last Sep and has never been authorized by me)!!! and (2) bounced my own ReadingLiberallyEmailList@johnkarls.com (which has always for 13 years been the "To" addressee for each batch) with the false claim that that e-mail address does not exist!!!

No excuses for this behavior because it was Dreamhost on both the sending and receiving end of these two "To" addresses and these two "Bcc" addresses!!!

FYI, there follows the 11/8/2018 e-mail to our 154 members via 128 e-mail addresses regarding our final test e-mail sent to 113 e-mail addresses (128 minus 11 responses to prior tests and minus the 4 e-mail addresses which originally alerted us to the problem).

[It appears in the fifth section of http://www.ReadingLiberally-SaltLake.org entitled “Another John Karls Sabbatical To Write Another Book” as part of the currently-fifth posting entitled “EMERGENCY – Political Censorship by Major E-mail Providers.”]

Of the 113 e-mail addresses to which the final test e-mail was sent from my emergency e-mail account at johnspencerkarls@gmail.com, 98 of the 113 Bcc addressees rejected the 11/3/2018 “SECOND REQUEST” e-mail INCLUDING MY OWN john@johnkarls.com!!! And MY OWN ReadingLiberallyEmailList@johnkarls.com (the “To” Addressee) also rejected the 11/3/2018 “SECOND REQUEST” e-mail!!!

As described in the 11/8/2018 e-mail, I did investigate and Dreamhost said that I would have to obtain from g-mail the specific reason that was sent by them to g-mail for the rejections (Dreamhost claimed not to retain such explanations) and g-mail would only provide generic reasons why e-mails are rejected (such as no such e-mail address) and would not produce the specific reason(s) provided by Dreamhost.

So I'm guessing that very few of the e-mail notices for the Feb meeting on The Deep State actually got through.

Especially since at this time of year, 5-6 of the addressees will at least respond by saying if they are not able to attend, that we should at least rendezvous for skiing.

I am guessing that for any future communications to our 154 members, it will be necessary first to contact each individually from a brand-new e-mail address to request an affirmative response whether s/he wishes to continue to receive our e-mails.

And then conduct a batch e-mail test from the brand-new e-mail address requesting affirmative responses from everyone that s/he actually received the batch test.

Enough already!!! Just wanted to get this on the record in case I forget again next Monday.

Your friend,

John K.

Subject: Update Re: READING LIBERALLY EMERGENCY MEETING – Political Censorship by Major E-mail Providers – Wed Nov 14 – Proposed “Six-Degrees-Of-Separation” E-mail Campaign
Date: Thu, November 8, 2018 1:47 am MST
Attachments:

Dear Friends,

Our original 10/28/2018 e-mail (a copy of which follows below for your convenience) explained its raison d’être -- that we had become aware that on or about September 1, 2018, major e-mail providers (INCLUDING G-MAIL, YAHOO, COMCAST, VERIZON AND DREAMHOST) suddenly began routing e-mail they deemed to be conservative into their subscribers’ SPAM folders from which the e-mails would soon disappear into cyber-space, while continuing to route e-mail they deemed to be liberal into their subscribers’ REGULAR in-baskets.

It further noted that absent a court order, it is A MAJOR-LEAGUE CRIME for your U.S. Postal Service letters to be steamed open by the U.S. Government and read in order to determine whether the U.S. Government thinks your letters are liberal or conservative in order to decide whether to deliver them.

Accordingly, it noted that such censorship can easily lead to the DEATH OF DEMOCRACY and posited that since e-mail providers are now functioning as an unofficial U.S. Postal Service, our organization should mount one of our “Six-Degrees-Of-Separation E-mail” Campaigns -- this one aimed at extending to e-mail providers the same rules and regulations that apply to U.S. Postal Service letters.

UPDATE RE OUR ORIGINAL 10/28/2018 E-MAIL

There were 13 responses to our 10/28/2018 e-mail, all saying that they had received copies of the e-mail from both ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com and john.karls@yahoo.com.

By way of background, there are currently 154 individuals who receive our e-mails via 128 e-mail addresses, 26 of which are shared by two of our organization’s participants.

So subtracting from the 128 e-mail addresses 11 responses that were received immediately and the 4 that had originally demonstrated the problems with G-MAIL, YAHOO, COMCAST, VERIZON AND DREAMOST, there were 113 e-mail addresses for which we HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING whether they had NOT received our 10/28/2018 e-mails or whether they had merely failed to respond.

Accordingly, on 11/3/2018, an e-mail was sent to each of these 113 e-mail addresses FROM MY SECONDARY EMERGENCY E-MAIL ADDRESS johnspencerkarls@gmail.com with the subject “READING LIBERALLY EMERGENCY -- SECOND REQUEST.”

Its text comprised the original 10/28/2018 e-mail preceded by the following message --

“Re: Political Censorship by Major E-mail Providers such as G-MAIL, YAHOO, COMCAST, VERIZON AND DREAMHOST

“Dear Friends,

“Nothing has been heard from you in response to the following e-mail.

“So that our information is as complete and accurate as possible, could you please –

(1) Hit your Reply Button if you receive this e-mail; AND
(2) Simply type as the return text whether you did receive our original October 28 e-mail from ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com.

“Thank you.

“Your friend,
“John K.”

THE INEXCUSABLE RESULTS FROM THE “SECOND REQUEST”

My johnspencerkarls@gmail.com e-mail account reported that 98 of the 113 Bcc addressees had rejected the 11/3/2018 “SECOND REQUEST” e-mail INCLUDING MY OWN john@johnkarls.com!!!

[I always include my primary personal e-mail address at the end of each batch of Bcc addresses.]

In addition my johnspencerkarls@gmail.com e-mail account reported that MY OWN ReadingLiberallyEmailList@johnkarls.com (the “To” Addressee) had also rejected the 11/3/2018 “SECOND REQUEST” e-mail!!!

EVEN MORE EGREGIOUSLY/MYSTERIOUSLY, the 11/3/2018 e-mail had been sent 7 minutes earlier AS A TEST solely to john@johnkarls.com with no copies, and it had sailed through with no problem!!!

MY INVESTIGATION WITH G-MAIL AND DREAMHOST (the webhost for http://www.johnkarls.com)

As already described in our original 10/28/2018 e-mail to everyone, DREAMHOST was one of the e-mail host providers that had suddenly, on or about 9/1/2018, begun sending to my SPAM folder e-mails that appeared to be conservative while continuing to let liberally-appearing e-mails sail through to my In-Basket -- EVEN THOUGH I HAD NEVER AUTHORIZED ANYTHING TO BE SENT TO MY SPAM FOLDER AND EVEN THOUGH NOTHING HAD EVER BEEN RELEGATED TO MY SPAM FOLDER PRIOR TO APPROXIMATELY 9/1/2018.

So I filed a formal inquiry with Dreamhost -- (1) why they had suddenly begun sending e-mail to my SPAM folder without authorization, (2) what their criteria were for sending e-mail to my SPAM folder, (3) why those criteria were satisfied by the Bcc copy of the 11/3/2018 e-mail BUT NOT satisfied by the TEST COPY of the same e-mail that was sent 7 minutes earlier directly to my e-mail address with no copies, and (4) what there was about the 11/3/2018 Bcc copy that caused Dreamhost to reject the Bcc copy 7 minutes later.

Dreamhost refused to answer Questions 1 and 2, and denied any knowledge of any rejections.

Dreamhost said further that any explanation for the rejections would have to come from G-MAIL which, if there had really been a rejection, would have received Dreamhost’s explanation which Dreamhost no longer had (if, indeed, there had been any rejections)!!!

Meanwhile, G-MAIL would only provide half-a-dozen generic reasons why e-mails are commonly rejected (such as “no such e-mail address”) BUT WOULD NOT PROVIDE ANY REASON WHY DREAMHOST HAD ALLEGEDLY REJECTED THE BCC E-MAIL!!!

NEW REQUEST FOR EACH OF YOU

Each of you is requested to see whether you received our 11/3/2018 e-mail that had the subject of ““READING LIBERALLY EMERGENCY -- SECOND REQUEST.”

[This should be all of us except the 11 who responded immediately to our original 10/28/2018 e-mail -- FYI, the 2 who responded after 11/3/2018 were sent the 11/3/2018 “SECOND REQUEST” e-mail and G-MAIL reported that both rejected the 11/3/2018 e-mail.]

(1) If you received the 11/3/2018 e-mail, please hit your Reply Button (no reply message is necessary).

(2) If you did NOT receive the 11/3/2018 e-mail (and did NOT respond to our original 10/28/2018 e-mail), then please contact your e-mail provider to see whether you can pry out of them why your Bcc copy of the 11/3/2018 e-mail was allegedly rejected by your e-mail provider.

And report back whatever you discover.

PLEASE RSVP FOR OUR WED NOV 14 MEETING IF YOU HAVEN’T ALREADY

We do not yet have our minimum quorum of 6 for adopting an official “Six-Degrees-Of-Separation” E-mail Campaign.

Please RSVP by this coming Sunday evening so that a decision can be made whether to proceed with the meeting Wed Nov 14 from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm at the Salt Lake Public Library (210 East 400 South).

All RSVP’s will be notified Monday morning whether the meeting is on.

Thank you all for your efforts with regard to this imbroglio.

We hope to see all of you this coming Wednesday evening.

Your friend,
John K.

From: ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com (second copy from john.karls@yahoo.com for reasons explained in the e-mail text)
Subject: READING LIBERALLY EMERGENCY MEETING – Political Censorship by Major E-mail Providers – Wed Nov 7 or 14 – Proposed “Six-Degrees-Of-Separation” E-mail Campaign
Date: Mon, October 28, 2018 4:22 am MDT
Attachments:

Dear Friends,

[This e-mail is being sent to each of you from two different e-mail addresses for reasons that are explained below.]

As you may recall, we are in the middle of another sabbatical so that I can write a second book, this one on the topic of “The National Audubon Society Executes Great Salt Lake Death Warrant.”

And that when this sabbatical began last July, we explained that just like the first sabbatical 4 years ago, everyone is invited to make Ad Hoc Meeting proposals (1) NONE of which will be promoted by short quizzes, suggested discussion outlines, etc., (2) but EACH of which that achieves our minimum quorum of six, will be authorized to initiate one of our “Six Degrees of Separation E-mail Campaigns” to our nation’s decision makers.

“ALL-HANDS-ON-DECK” EMERGENCY – POLITICAL CENSORSHIP BY MAJOR E-MAIL PROVIDERS

We have become aware that on or about September 1, 2018, major e-mail providers (INCLUDING G-MAIL, YAHOO, COMCAST, VERIZON AND DREAMHOST) suddenly began routing e-mail they deemed to be conservative into their subscribers’ SPAM folders, while continuing to route e-mail they deemed to be liberal into their subscribers REGULAR in-baskets.

This was done WITHOUT the permission AND WITHOUT the knowledge of the e-mail subscribers.

THIS WAS EVEN DONE to e-mail subscribers who had NEVER requested any type of e-mails to be sent to their SPAM folders so that they were not even aware that some of their e-mails were suddenly being banished to a SPAM folder from which they were being deleted after a brief interval.

COMPARISON WITH U.S. POSTAL LAW/REGULATIONS

Absent a court order, it is A MAJOR-LEAGUE CRIME for your letters to be steamed open by the U.S. Government and read in order to determine whether the U.S. Government thinks your letters are liberal or conservative in order to decide whether to deliver them.

WHY THIS IS A NON-PARTISAN PUBLIC-POLICY ISSUE

We have always prided ourselves in being a NON-PARTISAN PUBLIC-POLICY STUDY GROUP that takes effective action.

Censorship leads to the DEATH OF DEMOCRACY!!!

Accordingly, it is respectfully suggested that, just like the U.S. Postal Service cannot censor letters, e-mail providers such as G-MAIL, YAHOO, COMCAST, VERIZON AND DREAMOST should NOT be permitted legally to censor e-mail by sending e-mail of which they disapprove politically, to their subscribers’ SPAM folders WITHOUT PERMISSION -- which permission, if solicited by the e-mail providers in terms of criteria for their SPAM determinations, should explicitly state whether the criteria could catch political speech in their dragnet!!!

HOW WE BECAME AWARE OF THE CENSORSHIP BY MAJOR E-MAIL PROVIDERS

As many of you may recall, FOUR of our meetings over the past 17.5 months have focused on “Authoritarian Rule By Our Intelligence Services” starting with our 5/10/2017 meeting for which our focus book was George Orwell’s “1984” featuring “Big Brother.”

Just like censorship leads to the DEATH OF DEMOCRACY, the weaponization of our Intelligence Services can also lead to the DEATH OF DEMOCRACY.

Accordingly, we have treated the weaponization of our Intelligence Services as a non-partisan public-policy issue.

However, it would appear that the major e-mail providers such as G-MAIL, YAHOO, COMCAST, VERIZON AND DREAMHOST have interpreted our focus on the weaponization of our Intelligence Services as a partisan anti-liberal exercise since the weaponization was done 2016-2017 by Democrats.

[But query who will prevent Republicans from doing it in the future???]

So since beginning on or about September 1, our e-mails sent from ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com have been put into the SPAM folders of our approximately 150 members (at least so far as can be ascertained at this time) by G-MAIL, YAHOO, COMCAST, VERIZON AND DREAMHOST, it is respectfully suggested that effective action be undertaken to outlaw such behavior.

YOUR IMMEDIATE ACTIONS ARE REQUESTED
(AND THE REASON FOR SENDING THIS E-MAIL TO YOU FROM TWO DIFFERENT E-MAIL ADDRESSES)

Since we have reason to believe that the copy of this e-mail being sent to you from ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com will go into your SPAM folder, a second copy is being sent to you from my emergency e-mail address john.karls@yahoo.com.

First requested action –

If you receive both e-mails in your regular in-box, please hit your Reply Button for the ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com copy (no return message will be necessary).

Second requested action –

If only the john.karls@yahoo.com copy appears in your regular in-box, please hit your Reply Button for it, but indicate whether the other copy went to your SPAM folder or disappeared into cyber-space.

Third requested action –

If you are able to attend an EMERGENCY MEETING on either Wed evening Nov 7 and/or Wed evening Nov 14, please examine your SPAM folder to see whether it contains our 10/6/2018 e-mail (with the subject of “Authoritarian Rule By Our Intelligence Services – Part IV) and to see whether your SPAM folder contains other conservative-sounding e-mails (and, if so, to pinpoint insofar as possible when such e-mails began appearing in your SPAM folder).

RSVP’S REQUESTED FOR WED NOV 7 OR WED NOV 14

Please RSVP by tomorrow evening if you can attend our emergency meeting on either Wed evening Nov 7 and/or Wed evening Nov 14 at the Salt Lake Public Library (210 East 400 South) --

indicating, of course, which date(s) you are available.

[As usual, anyone who cannot attend in person is invited to participate by Skype.]

I will e-mail RSVP’s on this coming Wednesday morning which date is convenient for the greatest number of RSVP’s.

THANK YOU!!!

And I hope to see each of you on either Nov 7 or Nov 14.

And please rest assured that whatever information you are able to provide IAW the “Your Immediate Action Requested” section above, will be compiled for incorporation into any “Six-Degrees-Of-Separation” E-mail Campaign that we undertake.

Your friend,
John K.

PS -- To unsubscribe, please press “reply” and type “deletion requested.”

Return to “Section 3 – Possible Topics for Future Meetings”