PBS News Hour w/Jim Lehrer - Report On Hearing

Normally we post under “Reference Materials,” among other things, any book reviews from the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or Washington Post. “Freedom From Religion” does not appear to have been reviewed in any of these three publications – though we have posted for “Original Proposal” (before one even clicks on it for the postings in that category) the very-intriguing quotation of the former ACLU President (1991-2008) and current NYU Law Professor regarding “Freedom From Religion.”

HOWEVER, ON MARCH 2, 2011, THERE OCCURRED THE FIRST ITEM FOR POSTING UNDER “REFERENCE MATERIALS” –

By way of background, Q&A No 8 posted as part of the monthly Short Quiz under “Participant Comments” stated –

(1) The Roman Catholic Doctrine of "Blood Guilt" held that every Jew alive at any point in time including the present, is responsible for the death of Christ.

(2) It is politically incorrect to notice that The Holocaust was proper under the Roman Catholic Doctrine of "Blood Guilt"!!!

(3) However, one of Germany's most famous trial lawyers, Weddig Fricke, wrote a famous book on the subject = "The Court Martial of Jesus: A Christian Defends The Jews Against The Charge Of Deicide." Fricke wrote the book in the wake of defending a person who had killed 9 Jews in a concentration camp as a "wonderful Grandfather" whose only fault was being misled by his Roman Catholic religion. [Only the northern half of Germany is Lutheran, while the southern half has always remained Roman Catholic.]

(4) According to Fricke, the Roman Catholic Church did not abandon its Doctrine of "Blood Guilt" until 1961 - 16 years after the end of World War II.

The first posting in this “Reference Materials” section is from a 3/2/2011 Transcript of MacNeil-Lehrer (aka The PBS News Hour With Jim Lehrer) in which the last item in the News Wrap mentions that Pope Benedict XVI’s new book “Jesus of Nazareth: Part II, Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection” will be released on March 11, 2011 – AND MAKES THE CASE AGAINST BLOOD GUILT!!!

According to The PBS News Hour (which apparently received an advance copy), the Pope states that the Doctrine of Blood Guild was renounced by the Catholic Church in 1965 – apparently Weddig Fricke’s 1961 renunciation date must have been an earlier unofficial renunciation.

The PBS News Hour does not indicate whether the Pope acknowledges that the Roman Catholic Church’s Doctrine of Blood Guilt caused (or at least contributed to) the World War II Holocaust in which 6 million Jews were killed.

However, it is interesting to note that virtually all of the Roman Catholic countries [e.g., France, Poland, Austria and Germany (though only the southern half of Germany was and is Roman Catholic, Hitler was born and raised in Austria which is 100% Roman Catholic)] eagerly volunteered their Jews to Hitler’s death camps, and only in the Protestant countries of Northern Europe (e.g., Denmark and Holland) was their substantial resistance to doing so.
Pat
Site Admin

PBS News Hour w/Jim Lehrer - Report On Hearing

Post by Pat »

Transcript of MacNeil-Lehrer (aka PBS News Hour With Jim Lehrer)
Comprising The Report On The Congressional
3/11/2011

JIM LEHRER: And to a U.S. House hearing that's sparked a national debate. Margaret Warner has our story.

MARGARET WARNER: The line outside the Homeland Security Committee room stretched down the halls, a sign of the intense interest today's hearing generated from the moment it was announced.

REP. PETER KING (R-N.Y.), Homeland Security Committee chairman: The Committee on Homeland Security...

MARGARET WARNER: Right at the start, committee Chairman New York Republican Peter King rejected criticism of the focus on one religious group.

REP. PETER KING: Let me make it clear today that I remain convinced that these hearings must go forward -- and they will. To back down would be a craven surrender to political correctness and an abdication of what I believe to be the main responsibility of this committee to protect America from a terrorist attack.

MARGARET WARNER: King pointed to a spate of homegrown terror cases in recent years in which American Muslims have been accused: last year's attempted bombing in Times Square; the failed plot to attack the New York City subway system in 2009; and the Fort Hood, Texas, shootings that killed 13. Indeed, this past weekend, Deputy National Security Adviser Denis McDonough echoed what others in the administration have said: that al-Qaida is actively trying to recruit U.S. citizens.

DENIS MCDONOUGH, U.S. deputy national security adviser: They make videos, create Internet forums, even publish online magazines, all for the express purpose of trying to convince Muslim-Americans to reject their country and attack fellow Americans.

MARGARET WARNER: But appearing as a witness, Democratic Congressman Keith Ellison of Minnesota, himself a Muslim, objected to the premise of the hearing, saying it was tarring Muslims with a broad brush. He told of a man who rushed into the Twin Towers on 9/11 to save others, but was for a time a suspect himself.

REP. KEITH ELLISON (D-Minn.): Mohammed Salman Hamdani was a fellow American who gave his life for other Americans. His life should not be identified as just a member of an ethic group or just a member of a religion but as an American who gave everything for his fellow Americans.

MARGARET WARNER: Zuhdi Jasser of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, agreed but said the Muslim community needs to acknowledge there's a significant problem with radicalization.

ZUHDI JASSER, American Islamic Forum for Democracy: You know, listen, I'm Muslim and I realize that it's my problem, and I need to fix it. And that's what I'm trying to do. So we can close our eyes and pretend it doesn't exist. We can call everybody a bigot or Islamophobic to even talk about it. But you're not going to solve the problem, and the problem is increasing exponentially.

MARGARET WARNER: The main panel also included two fathers whose sons were recruited by radical groups. Melvin Bledsoe's son Carlos has been charged with killing an Army private outside an Arkansas recruiting station. He warned other Muslim-American young people are at risk.

MELVIN BLEDSOE, father of Carlos Bledsoe: This is a big elephant in the room. Our society continues not to see it. This wrong called political correctness, you can even call it political fear, fear of stepping on special minority population toe, even as a segment of that population wants to stamp out America and everything we stand for. I must say that we -- I must say that we are losing American babies. Our children are in danger.

MARGARET WARNER: Still, much of the members' comments focused not on what turns young people into radicals, but on whether even holding such a hearing was appropriate.

REP. SHEILA JACKSON LEE (D-Texas): But, you see, it already has been tainted, this hearing. There are no loud signs of reasoning that are coming through this hearing. The reason is because it has already been classified as an effort to demonize and to castigate a whole broad base of human beings. I cannot stand for that.

REP. PAUL BROUN (R-Ga.): The focus of this hearing today is not the Islamic religion. It's Islamicists. It's the radical jihadists. It's the radicalization of our youth, as Mr. Bledsoe and Mr. Bihi have talked about. And I think it's absolutely critical that we as a nation focus upon doing exactly what I was taught in the United States Marine Corps, to know your enemy.

MARGARET WARNER: For his part, Los Angeles County Sheriff Leroy Baca told the committee that from what he sees, Muslim-Americans are concerned and willing to cooperate with law enforcement.

LEROY BACA, Los Angeles County sheriff: The truth is that Muslims are just as independent, just as feisty, just as concerned about safety. They certainly don't want their homes or their mosques blown up. And thereby, as individuals, they have been doing things with local law enforcement without the cover, so to speak, of an organization.

MARGARET WARNER: The hearing adjourned after four hours, but Chairman King has said he plans to hold additional sessions in the future.

Return to “Reference Materials - Religious Freedom And National Security - Mar 16th”