Reaction of Cal Burgart - The Proposer of Super Fuel

Cal Burgart
Site Admin

Reaction of Cal Burgart - The Proposer of Super Fuel

Post by Cal Burgart »

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: I am so glad I suggested this book to you, and the group accepted it..
Date: Mon, September 24, 2012 6:12 pm
To: ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am about half way through “Super Fuel.” Waking up brain cells that have been dormant since 1974, when I last did anything with neutrons. I never had anything to do with MSRE or LMFBR. Though I do have an idea of what makes a reactor "critical" and so far I haven't read that, which is important basic knowledge.

My text for reactor theory (expensive book back then) was Weinberg and Wigner. Lee Dodds (p 24), the head of the Nuclear Engineering Dept at U/Tenn for quite a long time was in the class behind me. My wife and I lived in one of the WW2 houses near Outer Drive up on the hill. I worked at X-10 in the same building as Weinberg part of my time there.

I liked the quote on p 17 - "Sorensen was a grad student in the University of Tennessee storied nuclear engineering program" and he worked at NASA. I also worked at NASA in Huntsville, Alabama for a summer while in college in the same building as Von Braun. Interesting that Sorenson is a Utah/Mormon boy, too.

I like the way Martin is mixing up history and politics with the technical stuff.

See you at Reading Liberally..

Might get me back into reading BOOKS.

Cal

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: Re: I am so glad I suggested this book to you, and the group accepted it..
Date: Tue, September 25, 2012 3:42 am
To: Calvin Burgart
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Cal,

I'm glad you're enjoying the book!!!

Looking forward to seeing you on the 10th,

Your friend,

John K.

Return to “Participant Comments - Thorium: The Green Energy Source For The Future – October 10th”