New Message from Tucker Gurney

The Gurneys
Site Admin

New Message from Tucker Gurney

Post by The Gurneys »

I hope that our message last week did not discourage you from reading Klein’s book and coming on February 17 to discuss it. Ted and I think it is an important book. We are still reading slowly because we find that we want to pause and consider her points. We have thought previously about the causes of climate change and strategies for reducing carbon emissions and minimizing physical effects, but Klein focuses on other aspects, such as attitudes and social responses.

I also find myself integrating current news into the stories in the book. How do you think Klein would view these recent events --

(1) President Obama’s denial of permission to complete the Keystone XL pipeline?
(2) The agreements made at the recent international climate change conference in Paris?
(3) The Clean Power Plan released by the EPA putting new regulations on coal-fired power plants?
(4) News that scientists at Exxon understood the science and implications of climate change in the 1980’s but were silenced by management?
(5) An underground storage tank in southern California has been leaking vast quantities of methane for more than 100 days?
(6) A large coastal region of northwestern Canada will be protected as the Great Bear Rainforest after a decade of negotiations between representatives of the government, First Nations and industry?

Return to “Participant Comments – Capitalism vs. The Climate – Feb 17”