Carryovers From Jan 13 - The N.I.H. & The Pharmaceuticals

johnkarls

Carryovers From Jan 13 - The N.I.H. & The Pharmaceuticals

Post by johnkarls »

Two Six-Degrees-Of-Separation E-mail Campaigns were proposed for our Jan 13 meeting --

(1) That Congress should eliminate the provisions of the second President Bush’s Medicare Prescription Drug Program that (A) prohibit Medicare from negotiating with the pharmaceutical companies (vs. meekly accepting whatever prices the pharmaceuticals dictate), and (B) prohibit Medicare participants from obtaining drugs from outside the U.S. in general, and Canada in particular, where the pharmaceuticals routinely offer for sale the same identical drugs at a fraction of what they charge for them inside the U.S.

(2) That the National Institute of Health (“NIH”) which makes all medical-research grants for the U.S. government, should be forced to give preference to proposals that investigate all of three things: (A) what causes a disease, and (B) what species(s) provide a check to the species causing the disease, and (C) what is the chemical possessed by the checking species that provides the check against the disease.

It is appropriate to re-consider these two proposals at our Feb 17 meeting because (1) both meetings address climate change, and (2) additional information was adduced following the Jan 13 meeting from the U/Utah’s Radiology Research Professor who had proposed the focus book for Jan 13 but had been unable to attend the meeting.

The additional information is contained in the posting on http://www.ReadingLiberally-SaltLake.org for our Feb 17 meeting entitled “John Karls Remonstrates That Extinctions Pose Human Threats” which appears in the “Participants Comments” Section for the Feb 17 meeting.

The salient portions of that posting =

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: Re: My Remonstration That Extinctions Pose Human Threats
Date: Mon, January 25, 2016 4:23 pm - MST
To: John Karls
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear John,

I think Jay is correct insofar as Big Pharma goes. Remember, their major incentive is to boost their profits short-term….which is why they closed all their research labs in the past 20 years and now look around for Unicorns to buy up.

[Voluminous but irrelevant information about the NIH omitted.}

Maybe we can get together to discuss this quite complex matter in person? Which might facilitate mutual understanding!

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: Re: Re: My Remonstration That Extinctions Pose Human Threats
Date: Tue, January 26, 2016
To: June Taylor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear June,

[Information about the logistics of June’s proposed tête-à-tête is omitted.]

You have yet to inkle your views on my basic thesis that avoiding the extinction of species is probably the most important and effective argument that can be made for combatting GHG emissions.

After all, you may agree with NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio who appears to believe from his extended dissertation on TV last evening on why global WARMING causes 27-inch SNOWfalls that preventing 27-inch SNOWfalls is the most important reason to combat GHG emissions.

[And yes, I am aware that the global warming Cassandras have realized that over the years, their alarms have not had much effect on the President Putins of the world [Russian President Putin announced in 2003 he would refuse to sign the Kyoto Treaty (aka the Kyoto Protocol because President Clinton refused for the last 37 months of his administration to submit it to the Senate for ratification) based on the attraction of a longer growing season for fertile Siberia!!!], or even on the average American who believes global warming is someone else’s problem and not a reason to ruin our own economy. So that the Cassandras have morphed their message from “global warming” into “climate change” and blame every climate event that happens on GHG emissions. And that there are some scientists who back up the expanded claims.]

But please come to our tête-à-tête prepared to discuss whether preserving all of the world’s species may be the key to medical research that saves the human race from extinction.

In other words, it’s one thing to argue that still having herpes around was not necessary for finding a cure for melanoma.

But I should think that it is quite another thing to argue that medical research won’t miss the absence of all of the world’s species that will disappear in The Sixth Extinction.

And yet quite another thing to argue that medical research SHOULD NOT miss the absence of those species.

BTW, my Metropolitan Opera Cobra friend had just been diagnosed with a melanoma-stuffed lymph node behind her right ear when I provided the Heads Up about the herpes cure for melanoma that was in the FDA testing phase. I would not have hesitated to provide the Heads Up even if I had not known that she was planning to consult the best melanoma experts in NYC, London and Paris.

Your friend,

John K.

Return to “Suggested Discussion Outline – Capitalism vs. The Climate – Feb 17”