Site Admin

Linda Chalfant-Allen’s Book Review of Tightrope

Post by Linda Chalfant-Allen »

---------------------------- Original Message -----------------------------
Subject: My Book Review of Tightrope
Date: Thu, July 16, 2020 7:09 pm MST
To: ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com
Attachment:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear John,

I found the book to be highly readable because it is more than just a compilation of dry facts and figures (although those are skillfully woven in). The authors not only include stories of real individuals, bringing the issues to life in a profoundly personal way, but also offer encouraging and inspiring stories of success and recommendations for what we, as a society and as individuals, can—and must—do to help get our country on the right track to "strengthen America by strengthening each American."

You will be happy to know that reading this book has given me new hope that we as a society and I as an individual, can do something to help. I have been deeply discouraged by the lack of success of numerous programs launched by the government over the years. Although I feel strongly that we need more comprehensive, longer-lasting government programs, I am also encouraged by the achievements of small organizations and individuals. The story of Mary Daly on page 20 was especially impressive. After all, I realized, I am a prime example of how people can be helped!

I have typed up a few notes and recommendations that I hope to share in our discussion.

I will also forward separately a few quiz questions that you may want to include in your list.

Sincerely,

Linda

Return to “Participant Comments – "Tightrope: Americans Reaching For Hope" by Pulitzer-Prize Winners Sheryl WuDunn and Husband, NY Times Columnist Nicholas Kristof – Aug 12”