Suggested Discussion Outline

johnkarls

Suggested Discussion Outline

Post by johnkarls »

Suggested Discussion Outline - Condoleezza Rice vs. Statement Attributed to Clint Eastwood

The following outline is respectfully suggested –

Section A: Condoleezza Rice vs. Statement Attributed to Clint Eastwood

In discussing our focus book (“1620: A Critical Response To The 1619 Project” by Peter Wood), it is respectfully suggested that we begin by considering two “bookend” reactions to “The 1619 Project” –

(1) The comments of Condoleezza Rice on CBS’ Face The Nation on June 6 – those comments have been reproduced in each of our weekly e-mails during this monthly cycle beginning with our 6/11/2021 weekly e-mail, a copy of which is available at viewtopic.php?f=645&t=2071&sid=add64fb3 ... bf8453b503.

(2) A statement attributed to Clint Eastwood and emblazoned in two parts on a picture of Clint Eastwood –

The first part at the top of the Clint Eastwood picture says – “LISTEN UP SNOWFLAKE, AND LET THIS SINK IN!”

The second part at the bottom of the Clint Eastwood picture says – “I NEVER OWNED ANY SLAVES, AND YOU NEVER PICKED ANY COTTON. HERE ENDS THE LESSON. I DON’T OWE YOU SHIT.”

The alleged Clint Eastwood statement was contained in an e-mail received 6/26/2021 at 6:50 am MDT from a long-time Reading Liberally member who has participated in many of our meetings over the years.

The member’s e-mail attached our 6/26/2021 weekly e-mail containing Condoleezza Rice’s Face-The-Nation comments which the member had received at 1:09 am MDT.

The member’s e-mail contained NOTHING except the picture as just described.

In reply to my response, the member did NOT have anything to say either about the picture or why it had been sent.

The member has not RSVP’d for our July 14 meeting.

SEVERAL CAVEATS ABOUT THE ALLEGED CLINT EASTWOOD STATEMENT -

(1) The e-mail containing the picture did NOT indicate its source.

(2) However, a simple Google search identified the source as “Best of British on Twitter” having been sent by “@scalyonee1977” on 6/22/2021 at 3:53 pm (no time zone indicated) – with 413 Retweets and 1,029 Likes – it is currently available at https://twitter.com/scalyonee1977/statu ... 5494040577.

[Unfortunately, I am NOT registered with Twitter so I was unable, like our member was, to copy & paste the picture.]

(3) THERE IS NO WAY OF KNOWING WHETHER CLINT EASTWOOD ACTUALLY MADE THE STATEMENTS ATTRIBUTED TO HIM.

(4) HOWEVER, HE COULD EASILY SUE “@scalyonee1977” IN THE U.K. BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH CLINT EASTWOOD IS A “PUBLIC FIGURE,” THE U.K. HAS NEVER ADOPTED AS AN EXCEPTION TO DEFAMATION THE U.S. SUPREME COURT DECISION OF “NY TIMES V. SULLIVAN” REQUIRING PROOF OF ACTUAL MALICE IN ADDITION TO FALSITY IN THE CASE OF “PUBLIC FIGURES.”

Section B: Discussing Peter Wood’s “1619: A Critical Response To The 1619 Project”

It is respectfully suggested that with the “bookends” of the Condoleezza Rice statement and the alleged Clint Eastwood statement in mind, we review the material in the Suggested Answers to the TWO Short Quizzes – especially those for which the answers were “What Do You Think??? Let’s Discuss!!!” –

The Suggested Answers to the First Short Quiz entitled “Context for ‘The 1619 Project’ Controversies” available at viewtopic.php?f=645&t=2074&sid=add64fb3 ... bf8453b503.

The Suggested Answers to the Second Short Quiz entitled “Major Controversies Re ‘The 1619 Project’” available at viewtopic.php?f=645&t=2076&sid=add64fb3 ... bf8453b503.

Section C: The “Bottom Line”

Has our organization been correct over its 15.5-year existence that the U.S. has failed to live up to its ideals by failing to educate (as documented in Jonathan Kozol’s many books over the last half century) America’s Permanent 30% Under-Caste?

Isn’t this the basic thrust of Condoleezza Rice’s comments on Meet The Press on June 6?

Isn’t it ironic that WHOEVER COBBLED TOGETHER the alleged Clint Eastwood statement has him closing with the sentence -- “I don’t owe you shit”???

Why ironic???

Because that is exactly what America has given its Permanent 30% Under-Caste in terms of inner-city public education -- SHIT!!!

Return to “Discussion Outline – “1620: A Critical Response To The 1619 Project” by Peter Wood – July 14”