The Harvard Kennedy School of Government’s Belfer Center on “Budapest Memorandum at 25: Between Past and Future”

johnkarls

The Harvard Kennedy School of Government’s Belfer Center on “Budapest Memorandum at 25: Between Past and Future”

Post by johnkarls »

---------------------------- Original Message -----------------------------
Subject: The Harvard Kennedy School of Government’s Belfer Center on “Budapest Memorandum at 25: Between Past and Future” dated March 2020
Date: Sun, February 20, 2022 3:38 am MST
To: Virginia Lee
Attachments: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Virginia,

Thank you very much for your e-mail.

It said you couldn’t print the referenced article from https://www.belfercenter.org/publicatio ... and-future and couldn’t print the Adobe.pdf file of the referenced article on that website.

BTW, I applaud your typical enthusiasm for research and careful consideration!!! [Which presumably comes from your career as a litigating attorney.]

On the one hand, the HKS Belfer Center article is typical of the reports of various academic “think tanks” – for example:

(1) The Brookings Institution’s 12/5/2019 article entitled “Why We Care About The Budapest Memorandum” by Steven Pifer at https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-fr ... emorandum/.

(2) All of the articles on The Budapest Memorandum by Dr. Mariana Budieryn for both the HKS Belfer Center and The Wilson Center.

(3) The Atlantic Council’s “UkraineAlert,” a comprehensive online publication providing regular Ukraine news and analysis such as its 12/3/2021 “Europe’s Future Will Be Decided in Ukraine” (https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/u ... in-ukraine) and its 12/30/2021 “How To Deal With The Kremlin-Created Crisis in Ukraine” (https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/u ... -in-europe).

On the other hand, the mainstream media seems to follow the lead of Pres. Biden in failing to explain any of the ramifications (China, Iran, North Korea) of his disastrous failure to take (or even threaten) effective action, or to explain why his disastrous failure probably dooms any future nuclear non-proliferation policies.

So little wonder why I’m glad to be 80 later this month – and can hope to “check out” before Biden’s “chickens come home to roost”!!!

Solution To Your Printing Problems

Yes, I subscribe to Adobe.pdf and their official software could NOT download the ALLEGED Adobe.pdf file from https://www.belfercenter.org/publicatio ... and-future, much less print it directly.

And yes, it is often impossible to print directly a non-Adobe article on a website such as https://www.belfercenter.org/publicatio ... and-future.

HOWEVER, being much older than you, I have learned to “cut and paste” such articles into a Microsoft Word document and then print the Word document.

Attached is such a “cut and paste” Word document of the article INCLUDING PICTURES.

I have, as an experiment, printed the first 5 of its 52 pages INCLUDING PICTURES.

If you are still experiencing printing problems and cannot print the attached Word.docx file (and I appreciate the attorney urge to have a print out that can be “marked up”), please let me know and I will print the remaining 47 pages and drop off at your home the entire document via my world-famous door-to-door delivery service. [Amazon Prime has nothing on me – in fact my service is “instantaneous” rather than “next day”!!!]

Your friend,

John K.

PS – I trust you will not object to my posting your e-mail and my foregoing response in the “Participant Comments” section for our March 16 meeting since they contain useful information for other RL members.

Subject: Re: The Topic for Our March 16 Meeting – America's 12/5/1994 Written & Signed Agreement That If Ukraine Surrendered Its 1,900 Missiles Containing Multiple-Nuclear-Warheads, America Would Guarantee The Independence And Territorial Integrity Of Ukraine
Date: Sat, February 19, 2022 2:15 pm MST
To: ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com
Attachment:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J-

Thanks, as always, for connecting me with important information. I'm trying to print the "Budapest Memorandum at 25: Between Past and Future", but the large pics are problematic, and my printer chokes on printing the pdf full-report version. :(

I'll try later to print.

Appeal demanding attention . . .

V

Subject: The Topic for Our March 16 Meeting – America’s 12/5/1994 Written & Signed Agreement That If Ukraine Surrendered Its 1,900 Missiles Containing Multiple-Nuclear-Warheads, America Would Guarantee The Independence And Territorial Integrity Of Ukraine
Date: Sat, February 19, 2021 1:55 am MST
To: Virginia Lee
Attachment:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Each of Our 196 Members One-By-One – for reasons explained in the 4 postings in Sec. 2 of www.ReadingLiberally-SaltLake.org.

Dear Friends,

Our next meeting is March 16 – 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm MST via Zoom.

MARCH 16 TOPIC – America’s 12/5/1994 Written & Signed Agreement That If Ukraine Surrendered Its 1,900 Missiles Containing Multiple-Nuclear-Warheads, America Would Guarantee The Independence And Territorial Integrity Of Ukraine

The Original Proposal is available at viewtopic.php?f=679&t=2157&sid=79edc08c ... 6b8839c0fa.

NB: There are two so-called replies to the original proposal that can be accessed by scrolling down from the Original Proposal. They can also be accessed directly –

(1) “Winston Churchill, Appeasement and The 1994 U.S. Guarantee of Ukraine’s Independence & Territory” at viewtopic.php?f=679&t=2157&p=2930&hilit ... c0fa#p2930; and

(2) “Authority For The 1,900 Ukrainian Nuclear Missiles Statistic” at viewtopic.php?f=679&t=2157&p=2931&hilit ... c0fa#p2931.

READING MATERIALS (No Focus Book)

The Original Proposal begins –

“On occasion, we are forced to focus on a topic that neither the news media nor book publishers are willing to let ‘see the light of day.’ And America’s refusal to honor its commitment to Ukraine has grave implications for nuclear proliferation….. propose we focus on [America’s 1994 Signed Guarantee of Ukraine Independence/Territory If It Would Surrender Its 1,900 Nuclear Missiles] and its implications for nuclear proliferation. Using such materials as can be gleaned from the public record to piece together the frightening picture.”

During the next week, please read the Original Proposal and its two so-called replies.

And the transcript of Tim Russert’s 5/29/2005 “Meet The Press” interview of Former Sen. Sam Nunn (D-Ga and long-time chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee), Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN and long-time Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee), Thomas Kean & Lee Hamilton (Ch & Vice Ch of The 9/11 Commission), and Former Sen. Fred Thompson (R-TN) – ON THE SUBJECT OF OSAMA BIN LADEN’S FATWĀ TO NUKE 10 MILION AMERICANS.

[The transcript is discussed at length in the second so-called reply and is available at viewtopic.php?f=25&t=166&p=212&hilit=uk ... 64282#p212.]

Then please post any comments or questions in “Participant Comments” at viewforum.php?f=681&sid=79edc08c521f50f ... 6b8839c0fa.

Or any articles, documents, etc., you think are noteworthy in “Reference Materials” at viewforum.php?f=680&sid=79edc08c521f50f ... 6b8839c0fa.

Next week’s Short Quiz will take both into account.

Reading (1) the Original Proposal (including its two so-called replies), (2) the 5/29/2005 Meet The Press Transcript, and (3) the Short Quiz and Suggested Answers – will comprise this month’s reading assignment.

MARCH 16 MTG INFO –

Wed March 16 – 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm MDT via Zoom.

Please RSVP by hitting your Reply Button and typing RSVP.

There is nothing further you need to do such as any special Zoom training. We will send all RSVP’s a few days in advance a URL and meeting name/password.

We look forward to seeing/hearing each of you on Wed March 16!!! Please be well!!!

Your friend,

John K.

PS -- To un-subscribe, please press "reply" and type "deletion requested."

Return to “Participant Comments – America’s 1994 Written & Signed Guarantee Of Ukraine’s Independence and Territorial Integrity For Ukraine Surrendering Its 1,900 Nuclear Missiles – March 16”