Suggested Discussion Outline

johnkarls

Suggested Discussion Outline

Post by johnkarls »

The following outline is respectfully suggested –

A. Comments About Specific Chapters of “Doom: The Politics of Catastrophe” – 60 minutes

Our tradition is to devote the first portion of each monthly meeting to going through the focus book, chapter by chapter, to invite important comments that are specific to a particular chapter. After all, each participant (except, perhaps, “first timers”) have taken the time to read the focus book and her/his opportunity to opine on anything in the focus book should NOT be denied.

Introduction

Chapter 1 – The Meaning of Death

Chapter 2 – Cycles and Tragedies

Chapter 3 – Gray Rhinos, Black Swans, and Dragon Kings

Chapter 4 - Networld

Chapter 5 – The Science Delusion

Chapter 6 – The Psychology of Political Incompetence

Chapter 7 – From the Boogie Woogie Flu to Ebola in Town

Chapter 8 – The Fractal Geometry of Disaster

Chapter 9 – The Plagues

Chapter 10 – The Economic Consequences of the Plague

Chapter 11 – The Three-Body Problem

Conclusion – Future Shocks

B. Discussion Issues – 50 minutes

The following Suggested Answers to this month’s Short Quiz (viewtopic.php?f=719&t=2279&sid=e927dd1c ... d0446e3e01) said, either actually or in effect – “What Do You Think??? Let’s Discuss!!!”

Q&A-3

Q&A-6
Q&A-7
Q&A-8
Q&A-9

Q&A-11
Q&A-12
Q&A-13
Q&A-14

Q&A-18
Q&A-19
Q&A-20

If that does not exhaust all of our remaining time, the following is respectfully suggested –

On p. 20 of “Doom,” our author reports that –

(1) At age 56, the Social Security Administration states that his remaining life expectancy is 26.2 years for a total of 82.2.

(2) The U.K. Office for National Statistics states that a 56-year-old man has a 25% chance of making it to 92 (NB: without explaining whether this is valid ONLY for Scots who emigrated to the U.S. 20 years ago).

(3) The “100 Year Life Expectancy Calculator” (https://www.livingto100.com/calculator) reported based on detailed questions & answers that he had a “better-than-even chance” of living 36 more years for a total of 92.

ACCORDINGLY, I went on https://www.livingto100.com/calculator which reported that I would live to 101 (with no percentage chances).

HOWEVER, it did NOT opine on how many of my additional 21 years would be spent as a vegetable!!!

SO IF WE HAVE TIME, I WILL PROMISE HOW TO SPEND HOWEVER-MANY REMAINING FRUITFUL YEARS ARE GRANTED TO ME.

AND ANYONE ELSE CAN DO THE SAME (INCLUDING, IF SO MOVED, TO REPORT HOW MANY REMAINING YEARS THE CALCULATOR GAVE HER/HIM).

C. Proposed Six-Degree-Of-Separation E-mail Campaign(s) – 10 minutes

None by Yours Truly

Anyone else??? [Please don’t be dissuaded by the prospect of 10 minutes to socialize if there are no proposals!!!]

Return to “Discussion Outline – “Doom: The Politics of Catastrophe” by Prof. Niall Ferguson (husband of Ayaan Hirsi Ali) – Dec 14”